Saturday, October 15, 2022

Novels Don't Have to be 60K Words!

This post is not to argue with anyone, but to prove my point or, more like, to present a truth to reinforce my point. I've been seeing a lot of writer rules--the most offensive, in my opinion, is saying a just-over 50,000-word novel is a novella, or not long enough. Gotta be at least 60K, 80K: perfect!

Of course 80K is the goal, but even Stephen King says the book dictates the length, not you. It's seems nit-picky to me.

And if you're right, then why is my favorite novel, Rosemary's Baby, about 200 pages, and my second-favorite, The Haunting of Hill House, also around 200 pages?

Because it's not true! The novel I'm trying to get published is 55,000 words, but I think it's the most important book I've ever written! Definitely enough story to be worth the cost of admission! Maybe 50K is technically a novella, but I'm talking over 50,000 words. 

Thanks for letting me shed light on this annoying rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review of Abigail

🪓🪓🪓🪓 out of 🪓🪓🪓🪓🪓 Abigail, a 2024 horror comedy (although I didn't get the comedic edge), was written by Stephen Shields and Ga...